Wednesday, 31 March 2010

If Music Be The Food of Love

People often ask me if I know a good pianist for their wedding and until now, I had to say I didn't.

But at Sharon & David's wedding at One Royal Circus on Saturday evening, I met Michael Kelly, aka The Wedding Pianist, who used Mike Gordon's baby grand piano to knock out a couple of great songs including Van Morrison's "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

It was a very intimate wedding with only eight guests, so I took the opportunity to hang out for a while afterwards, enjoy a glass or two of very good champagne and listen to him play.

Every time I see a grand piano, for some reason, the soundtrack to "Film 90-whatever-year-it-was, with Barry Norman" comes to mind, but I can never remember the title of the piece. Not only did Michael play it, he very kindly sent me a link to two versions online. One is by Nina Simone, but I prefer this instrumental by its composer, Billy Gaskin. It's called, "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free", and it goes like this...  

No comments:

Claire and Devon's Humanist Marriage at the Royal College of Physicians

Devon and Claire met at University in St. Andrews.  They spent three years talking over Skype while Claire studied in Madrid, and Devo...