Thursday, 23 July 2009

How to make an Entrance!

Juliet just sent me a link to her "Let's Get Married!" blog, which has a clip on it that I absolutely love and I hope you do too.

I spend quite a bit of time talking to couples about how they choose to begin their ceremony and of course, traditionally, the bride comes in with her dad and that's just fine, but there are other ways to do it. After all, when you think about it, the wedding is both the creation of a new family unit and the leaving of two others. So some grooms send their best man in ahead of them, and come in with both their parents, give them a kiss, see that they're settled and then come and stand by me.

And some brides then do the same - and when you think about it, it's really nice to acknowledge the mothers in this way because they have very little formal recognition in a traditional marriage ceremony.

Some couples choose to come in together; some like to be there with their guests from the very start, But nobody I've married so far has ever come in like this. It really brought a huge smile to my face when I saw it, and I hope you enjoy it too!

2 comments:

last year's girl said...

Thanks for this thought-provoking post. As a feminist, I'm not comfortable with the idea of being "given away", plus as it was my mum who pretty much single-handedly brought me up it wouldn't seem fair for her to be excluded. Got my thinking cap on!

Debbie Wight said...

That is absolutely brilliant!!! I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do it but it is definitely food for thought! Tremendous!

Claire and Devon's Humanist Marriage at the Royal College of Physicians

Devon and Claire met at University in St. Andrews.  They spent three years talking over Skype while Claire studied in Madrid, and Devo...